Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Why Food?

Let's face it - food is one of the most important things in our lives. Food not only nourishes, but also gives us pleasure. I love everything about food. Reading about food, preparing and cooking food, and of course eating it!

I plan to share my love of food with every post. I'll review restaurants when I travel. I'll tell you about what I'm preparing in my own kitchen. I'll give you menu suggestions, and much more including recipes, too.

About a year ago, we had the opportunity to travel to Italy. What a trip for a foodie. Unbelieveable extra virgin olive oil, pasta, wine. It was an incredible food adventure.
I'll tell you more about that trip in future posts, but for now here is a recipe for a simple, yet luxurious appetizer that we enjoyed in Rome. Enjoy Bruschetta with a nice glass of Fontanafredda Briccotondo Barbera 2006, a lovely red wine from the Piedmont region of Italy.


Bruschetta con Pomodoro

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 small ripe but firm tomatoes, halved, seeded and finely diced (roma tomatoes work well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (1/2-inch thick) slices Italian country bread
2 cloves garlic, halved
Sea salt

In a bowl, combine the olive oil, tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, cayenne, and salt. Set aside for at least 60 minutes to marinate.

Toast the bread in a 400 degree oven until golden; rub each slice of toast with the halved garlic cloves immediately upon removing it from the oven. Drizzle each slice of bread with additional extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.

Top the bread with the tomato mixture, garnish with leaves of fresh basil and serve.

Bon appetit!

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: